Good morning all, I hope you’re enjoying our Handmade Business Weekend. One of my favourite weekend activities is heading on down to my local boutique children’s market, so today I’ve invited Melanie from Billycart Markets to share her tops tips for holding a successful market stall.
As coordinator of the Billycart Markets, two of the questions I get asked the most are “How do I make my stall look better for sales?” and “So you have any advice?”. I’m always surprised to see that some stall holders can consistently have great days in sales at market while others seem to sell little or next to nothing at all… all the while not realising why!
The setup of your stall is the most important aspect of coming to market and having a successful day – alongside good customer service and manners. No matter how good your stall is, if you do not give good customer service, be knowledgeable and enthusiastic about your product and SMILE, you will not be successful. The same rules apply to us the “market organiser”.
Today I’d like to share my “Top 10 Tips” for having a successful market day.
1. Branding is everything… Be sure your stall is professionally represented. Products should be organised without clutter and kept neat throughout the day. Use all of the space of your stall, height and variety will create interest and draw in passers by.
2. Be sure to have plenty of business cards or small flyers… Place these in an easily accessible spot. If you have a website, make the address visible on all of your promotional materials. Mums (and their friends) love to shop online and you will get repeat and new business if they can find you easily.
3. Provide branded bags… This is a great way to not only make a lasting impression, but to advertise around the market place as well. Think of your bags like little walking billboards. Why not make your bags handmade! Simply pre-purchase paper bags and attach your business card using a trendy printed ribbon in your handmade business colours.
4. Increase your marketing exposure… Have your letterhead attached to a clip board and have a pen ready. Make sure it is visible on your table with two distinct columns – one for “name” and one for “email address”. Up the interest and encourage customers to sign up to your emailing list for a chance to win a displayed product which will be awarded via email the following week. Remember, the more names you are able to gather, the more advertising you can do later on.
5. Everyone loves a bargain… If you have end of season stock that you need to sell why not offer it at a discounted rate on market day. A sale is a great way to clear inventory.
6. Size matters… If you are selling clothing, be sure to have an array of sizes, especially in sizes above 3 years if your designs allow. There never seems to be enough products for the older children 4-12 years.
7. Don’t forget the boys… Mums of boys desire handmade products just a much as those with daughters. However, products for boys are very hard to find. If you are a retailer of handmade items for boys, be sure to increase your inventory on market day. You will more than likely be very popular and sell out fast.
8. Stay at your stall… It’s always a good idea to remain at your stall to assist with potential customers, therefore make sure you bring plenty of food and drink to have during the day. If you do need a break simply ask a Billycart Market Supervisor to relieve you for a while.
9. Bring change… Be sure to bring adequate change as Billycart Markets (and most others) usually trade primarily on cash. Portable POS terminals are welcome, but often no power is supplied at the markets.
10. Smile and enjoy your day… Above all else, smile and enjoy the day. You will be surrounded by an incredible energy of creativity and by those who will embrace and admire your talents!
Melanie Grace created the Billycart Markets in 2009. As a mother of three, she grew tired of purchasing unoriginal, mass produced items that only ever provided her family with minutes of entertainment. Located in Brisbane Australia, the markets host beautiful and stylish products especially created for children by talented and original Designers. You can connect with Melanie online through Facebook.